Welcome to Earth class 2020
Welcome to Earth Class!
Class Teacher: Miss Townsend
TA: Ms Elin
LSA: Ms Linton
Summer Term 2 Home Learning
(Please see update as of 08.06.20)
We hope you have all had a relaxing May half term in the sun! Remember to send your photos in, we'd love to upload them on our page!
Please see below the outline of our learning for this half term:
- An optional 'Challenge of the Day' page will be uploaded below each morning. This does not require printing.
- For focused weekly learning, choose either:
1. BBC Bitesize Schedule which is now structured into 3 lessons each day. If you found 2 lessons more manageable, choose 2 of the 3 that you think you will enjoy and learn from the most. This can be accessed online or by pressing the red button on your television 2. New Home Learning Grid (which is more flexible). This does not require printing but can be printed for ease of access if you wish. The grid includes topic related learning. Weekly lessons will be uploaded underneath the grid for core subjects.
- Please continue to access Times Table Rockstars (ideally 3x per week).
- Please see below for our 'Big Maths' home learning parent packs if you are unsure of which pack you are on, please email us to confirm. You can download the packs (you do not need to print them) to support maths learning aimed at your current targets. These can be completed with support. You also have login details to complete weekly challenges online also aimed at these targets. Try to complete Learn-it challenges weekly and choose between a 'CLIC' (number and calculation) or a 'SAFE' (shape, fractions and measures) challenge each week. These need to be completely independent. This helps us to identify targets and next steps in your maths learning. We can then refer you to particular pages in your packs, award you certificates for beating your score, and progress you on to the next pack if you score 10/10! Please see below for certificates which will be uploaded every Monday.
- Websites, competitions and packs will also be listed just below if you wish to access these.
Please continue to scroll down to access the resources outlined above and to see photos of what your friends have been up to! Remember, you can email me on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Click on the icons below for competitions, events and extra learning fun!
Challenge of the Day! (optional)
This will be updated every weekday before 9:30am
Now choose between either the BBC Bitesize Lesson Schedule or the Summer 1 Home Learning Grid for your focused weekly learning...
Focused Home Learning Option 1 - BBC Bitesize Lesson Schedule
Visit https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/dailylessons , click on 'Year 4/P5' to access three lessons each day. At least one of these lessons will be based on a core subject (Maths/English) and the other lesson/s will be based on a foundation subject (PSHE, Music, Science, History or Geography). Lessons begin with a slideshow/video and have activities to follow.
Focused Home Learning Option 2 - Summer 2 Home Learning Grid and Weekly Activites
Times Table Rockstars
Visit https://ttrockstars.com/ to login and earn rewards for your avatar! Short, regular sessions on TTR is recommended (at least 3x per week).
Big Maths - personalised Maths learning aimed at your targets
Please see Home learning Packs below. No need to print, they can be read from a screen and answered in notepads etc. to save on paper and ink!
You can download the pack in relation to your child's maths targets below. You should also now have your child's Big Maths login details so that they can complete challenges relating to these targets online.
Did you 'Beat That' last week and beat your score online? Click on the PDF certificates below to find out!
I have loved seeing photos of you all hard at work and enjoying quality time with your families! Keep sending your photos via email and I'll add them to our class page.
Online support for homeschooling
- Curiosity Stream
- Beast Academy
- Khan Academy
- Creative Bug
- Discovery Education
- The Body Coach TV - Joe Wicks live streams PE lessons at 9am on his YouTube channel each day! If you missed it, you can always playback previous sessions saved under P.E. with Joe.
- Crash Course Kids
- Science Channel
- SciShow Kids
- National Geographic Kids
- Free School
- Geography Focus
- Kids Learning Tube
- Geeek Gurl Diaries
- Mike Likes Science
- Science Max
Pretend to travel the world! Go on a virtual tour of these 12 famous museums:
Please see below for previous learning grids for Summer 1 and Spring 2.
Summer 1 Home Learning Grid
Multiplication 4 in a row example:
Comic strip template examples:
Spring 2 Year 4 Home Learning Grid
Please download the PDF documents below if you'd like any more home learning packs. This doesn't have to be printed and can also be viewed via mobile phone device.
- PE day is now on THURSDAY. We have gymnastics so please wear a plain white/purple t-shirt and black shorts.
- Spelling and maths homework go out every Friday, due back on the following Thursday.
- Reading journals - we aim to fill these in daily. 10 minutes will be given each morning (Mon-Thurs) to continue write about what they have read the night before. The Year 4 expectation is a minimum of three entries each week.
These are the methods we use for each operation:
Addition (partitioning or column methods)
Subtraction (bridging the gap or column methods)
e.g. 682-35 children need to:
- draw an empty number line
- write the numbers at either end
- calculate the jump to the next hundred
- calculate the jump to the largest number
- add the jumps together
Multiplication (smile - when multiplying by a multiple of ten)
(grid or column methods when multiplying a 2 digit number)
Division (using table facts or 'bus stop' method)
We will be reading 'Billionaire Boy' by David Walliams together as a class.
We will also be reading and writing about:
by SF Said